Tuesday, September 20

Drizzle

Soo, that was pleasant. The kind of drizzling rain that doesn't seem too bad when you first get out into it, but very quickly builds up until it's running off your helmet visor in rivers. On the plus side, it did make me seek out the fabled heated lockers at work, and they're pretty good.. I can see them getting a lot of use over the winter. There's a spin dryer too..luxury.

Had a few scary moments on the way in today though, firstly when I lost my chain and had to stop to put it back on. Being stationary leaning over a bike at the side of the road made me realise quite how fast the traffic was coming past (and how close). It was actually quite hard to force myself to get back on and start pedalling (though it felt a lot better as soon as I did..).

The second scary moment was when, not far from work, I heard a sudden kttshhhhhhh noise behind me. I glanced round to see the radiator grill of an arctic looming up less than a foot from my back wheel. The noise appeared to be the airbrakes struggling to slow it down without skidding.. Whether he'd just not noticed me early enough, or had a last minute change of heart and decided not to mow me down, I don't know. It's a scary game being a cyclist in the world of heavy goods vehicles..

No comments: